View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Rick Norman

Default Advice on selling welcome.

I've 'lurked' here for the last 5 years and really enjoy the conversations. Getting deeper into my senior years and figure it's time to sell my card accumulations (don't consider myself a collector - but enjoy cards).

I grew up in NY and have plenty of cards from 1957-1961 (majority won by flipping or bought at the time). Eventually I'll want to sell those (my 'kids' don't want to inherit them, go figure).

Additionally I have a bunch of cards from an elderly neighbor who passed in 1970 (he was the original owner) ... see my net54 album in my profile for his cards.

I now live near Vancouver, BC. Advice needed on:

1. selling cards individually vs in bunches;
2. fixed price vs auction;
3. raw vs graded;
4. where to sell them.

My thinking on some of this so far:
1. individually ok as it gives buyer more flexibility - if in a bunch, how to group them?
2. fixed price easier for me to track, but auction might help if I screw up pricing it too low. Also putting an initial price on a card seems a bit subjective. I'm looking to pass along the cards at a price fair to both of us, not looking to squeeze the buffalo nickel so tight as to squeeze the - well you know what i mean.
3. These are all raw - I know a few will do a lot better graded (Ruth, Cobb(s) for instance). Getting cards graded from Canada difficult (PSA not available here) plus added risk of paying additional duties when cards returned.
4. I did ebay from 1998-2004 for things from dad's estate (not cards) - then it got bad there. I prefer selling here or face to face (have sold on the non-sports sister site).

I'm sure many of you have already considered these issues and maybe more that I missed. Any thoughts most appreciated.
Rick
corky8484 (I collected corkscrews for years, thus 'corky')