View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 PM

Default Looking to invest in Greinke...

I'm a big fan of Zack Greinke and upon looking at cards for a few months, I've determined that THE card would be one of his 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres Cut Autograph cards. I've had an interest in getting one as they are truly great cards and you can't beat having one of if not the best rookie cards of your favorite player. I can get a BGS 9.5 example (9.5s across the board on the subgrades) with an 9 auto grade. I have a chance to get the 9.5 for $200 and would like some opinions on whether or not this would be a good price and an investment?

I've seen this card fluctuate but hold pretty well around $350 (low end) plus for graded copies. I realize that Zack is relativley obscure and his cards will never achieve the prices of today's superstars, however, I strongly believe that Zack will be enshrined in Cooperstown and that fans will eventually appreciate his career.

The eventual enshrinement in the HoF brings me to my next point. A player like Peyton Manning has been destined to the HoF for almost a decade now but with the official announcement of being elected a finalst for this year's class, his card prices have skyrocketed most noatably his Gold Topps Chrome Rookie. I feel that Greinke's best cards will eventually see this price bump as well, especially his 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres Auto. I feel that the prices would soften a bit after his induction but not by much.

Being that this is what seems to be his #1 rookie I'm definetly interested but no matter what card it is I don't want to overpay and I want to make sure that what I pay now has the chance to become an investment in the future. I would most likely try to sell my raw 2002 Bowman Chrome Joe Mauer Base Auto and put whatever I get from that into the Greinke.

Any and all opinions are welcomed!

Thanks and stay safe!