View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCyganik View Post
I'm curious how these things work behind the scenes because for the layman like myself it sounds like a bad movie.

Auction Server gets taken hostage. Hacker claims responsibility, supposedly doesn't want info from the hostage, just wants money to release the hostage.

Server CEO has long-time IT experience, hires firm that specializes in internet hostage situations. "Never negotiate with terrorists!" customers say. They begin negotiating with the hackers.

Server CEO and hostage firm negotiate a settlement to release the hostage. "It's okay," they say, "in most situations the hacker just wants a lump sum and they'll go away".

The hacker releases the hostage. The Auction Server needs time to recuperate from the trauma but otherwise is intact and well-functioning. After a few days, life moves on.

3 Weeks Later

Auction Server is missing. Who is to blame?
In my experience, it boils down to more common sense than IT experience. I know guys who have been in the industry for years but everything always, and I mean always, seems to fall apart (for some strange reason lol). If you're routinely getting attacked by ransomware I would be running like crazy in the other direction (as a customer).

There are many auction platforms out there. I come across them all the time in my own work. Many people opt for fully managed solutions because they don't want the IT headache on top of the logistics, understandably. It's a lot to manage.

But sometimes the best route is DIY for reasons like this. Hopefully the light is seen and all works out well.

Last edited by SWinn; 01-19-2021 at 12:02 PM.