View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM
Kev1n @1les

When I was 8, I bought the baseball address book. I sent out probably 40 letters where I would have my 8 year old handwriting and a school picture included. It was mainly to tell the players how much I admired them. I was 8. I didn't include anything for an autograph. I received 2 notes back. One was a personalized autograph from Stan Musial. The other was a package from Hank Aaron. He didn't include letter, but he included a signed 8x10, a 3x5 index card and a Babe Ruth replica card that he signed.

He got my school picture. I was a young white kid. He didn't have to respond - the other 38 folks didn't respond (nor did I ask them to... I just wanted to tell them how much I admired them). Our elementary school library had a sports section. Since it was so recent to 74, there were probably 4-5 Hank Aaron books. I read every one of them. I read about the $2 and 2 sandwiches as he left Mobile. I read about the Sally League and how he had to endure insults and my little 8 year old brain couldn't understand why - I mean, he was Hank Aaron for goodness sakes.

Today, I have every one of his mainstream cards. I have a signed picture of the 715 homer that was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I have a signed picture of Hank & Willie that I overpaid for back in 2012 when I took the boys to the HOF in Cooperstown. I have a signed baseball from him as well. He was my favorite. As I have gotten older, I realize the grace under pressure that he possessed. I often think about how scared he must have been - after all of the hate letters - to have the 2 dudes run out on the field. But, through it all, he didn't flinch. 86 is a good number. If I am promised 86 years today, I will take it. But, it is only 38 years away. In 30 years I will be 78 and I remember 30 years ago like it was yesterday. Time marches on. So, while I am sad that he passed, it is much like what I have experienced over the past year as some of these legends like Seaver, Sutton, and Niekro have died. They have died as pretty old men - not an early death like Stargell - but they were guys that were playing when I first started watching.

That is what makes it so surreal. These are legends that were supposed to stay young forever. If they are going, then it is only a matter of time until it is my turn and that is the sobering thought of the day (not that I didn't already know that, but it reminds me of my mortality).

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set