View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 03:56 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Actually it is relatively rare for a 60s Mantle. Last I checked there were 206 PSA graded PSA 8 or better. By comparison the 1961 Mantle All Star had 739. Yet the prices between those two cards are pretty close.

I think there are several things that factor in here: '62 Topps is not a popular set, the card itself is pretty plain and Mantle's '62 year was not as impressive as '61. Still based on the low population of the '62 All Star it seems to me to be underpriced.
I meant simply that it's not a rare card, or difficult high number or anything. Total PSA pop on the '59 Mantle is ~6,800. Maybe the super high grade discrepancy makes it eventually worth a little more? I don't know, I wouldn't be able to afford an 8 or higher. Mine might be a 6.

I used to think that a player's performance on the field for a season had something to do with card values. As such, I once would have discounted both the '59 and '65 Mantles. Nothing could be further from the truth. Anymore the popularity of the set accounts for more, and of course there is no "bad" Mantle card... I'm not a huge fan of the '67 or '69 though...

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-22-2021 at 04:01 PM.