View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM
Bry@n

Default Jesse James Gang Photo - Jim Younger

$7950 net to me.

A chance to own a piece of history. This is a stunningly-clear cabinet photo of James Younger (Jim Younger) from the Jesse James Gang. The photo is incredible - in hand, the clarity makes you feel like you are sitting in the same room.

The photo has terrific clarity and contrast, with a missing corner on the mount and a few minor condition issues that do not detract from the photo. The mount measures 4.25" x 6.5" and the photo itself measures 3.875" x 5.5".

The watermarks are only for this listing, they are not on the photo itself.

This is the only copy of this image that I have seen. The early images of Jim Younger, and his brothers and sister, are more widely available -- and appear to be to be lower-quality images than this one. This photo was taken by Kuhn in Stillwater MN, the same photographer that shot some of the earlier portraits.

I believe this is the exact same photo used by the newspaper Minneapolis Journal (note the editorial markings on the back) to run two articles on Jim Younger.

The first is a full page of stories on the Younger brothers from July 10, 1901 (page 2). The articles talk about them getting news they were getting out of prison, the terms of their parole, an interview with Cole, their careers and early life, and how Northfield, MN feels about their release.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...e=range&page=1

The second, "Jim Younger's Tragic Finish", published October 20, 1902 (page 1 & 2), discusses how he committed suicide when his girlfriend's parents refused to allow them to marry.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...e=range&page=1

The articles are not included, I only have the electronic copies from the links above.

This is your only chance to own this piece of Wild West history used to create these great newspaper stories, and could well be your only chance to own a copy of this photo as I have never seen another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Younger cabinet a full watermark.jpg (74.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Jim Younger cabinet a crop watermark.jpg (74.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Jim Younger cabinet b.jpg (75.9 KB, 124 views)