View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 03:38 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
If not this year, next year is when 'the rubber meets the road' - where all arguments come to a head and the most difficult decisions as to the role of a player's character have to be made.

Thoughts?

I think nobody will be elected. And I also don't think next year will necessarily see the rubber hitting the road. At this point, the writers have seemed to embrace punting on Clemens and Bonds (Schilling is a different case) to let the Hall's Era Committees handle it. For other players, very likely with Rodriguez, the same could be the case.
I think Rolen will eventually make it, if not next year then shortly after. Wagner, Sheffield, Helton and Jones seem to have made sizable jumps this year, if the numbers fall in line with the pre-results. They bear watching, although all of them are still on the fence, so to speak, with where they are at.
Vizquel seems to have dropped and I'm guessing the recent news about him would likely continue the drop in future years. He's probably not going to be elected via the writers at this point, but I'd think the Era Committees might put him in down the road.