Thread: CNN card story
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Here is my conundrum. I am 15 cards away from finishing 1955 Topps and 2 cards away from finishing 1968. I just cannot wrap my melon around sports cards being an investment. I mean, logically, yes I get it. But, with my collection, there is too much emotional involvement to view it as on par with stocks or annuities.

So, when I see the prices that the Clemente and Ryan rookie cards are selling for, I just shake my head and move on. Could I afford them at current prices? Yes, but I can't do it. That kind of money is significant enough to me that I prefer to put it into an asset I have absolutely no emotional attachment to.

So, to get back to my opening, I think I would be perfectly happy to fill those binder slots with reprints and call it a day. If the bubble bursts, great. But, if it doesn't, that is fine also.
Reprints? What the big deal? That's a great set! I don't collect sets anymore, but I used to love that one. Get BACK OUT THERE AND BUY, BUY, BUY. Surely you could justify cards like these? How bad could it be to finish the thing up? You must have many hours into it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan A.jpg (79.3 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente A.jpg (78.9 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 02-13-2021 at 11:52 AM.