View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 09:10 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default nice looking cards

Steinfeldt... That's a nice card.

Only recently did I figure out the timing of his T207 card showing St Louis Nat'l, and how he didn't make it to the majors for 1912. He was ill, St. Louis released him, he tried to play in the minors, and he died in 1914. His SABR bio in the link at Baseball Reference told a fascinating story.

All of those guys have good stories... Prince Hal Chase, maybe it was only his inclination to slightly mis-play a bit kept him out of the Hall. Roy Hartzell, a good fielding infielder for the Browns and Yankees. And Yip Owens, barely in the majors, but revered in Minneapolis. And Hooks Wiltse. Hooks was the nickname, you just know it's for some awesome curveball, but no, its for his nose. 12 years in the majors with a 2.47 ERA, 152 complete games, 139 wins, 33 saves... he was a tough pitcher for the Giants, following Mathewson.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1614310276

I don't know about Davis. Rube Kroh pitched a bit in the majors, he was with Louisville in 1911 and 1912. Vive Lindaman Pitched a tiny bit in the majors, and in 8 games for Louisville in 1911. His manager at Louisville was Del Howard, Lindaman and Howard had been team-mates on the Boston Beaneaters before, with some familiar T206 names, Bridwell, Beaumont, Sweeney, Needham, Bates, Hoffman, and Pfeffer.

In E254, Lindaman has cards with Louisville, Indianapolis, and Boston (I only have the Boston card). In the red border Colgans, Lindaman has a Louisville card. And I don't think Lindaman appears in the Tin Tops. In conversations with Bill Haber, several times he asked me if I had an E254 Colgans Lindaman showing Louisville as the team. I'd respond with a "No, Sir." Because I didn't. I got the feeling that he knew regular Louisville Lindaman cards were out there, but a challange to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red border Colgans.jpg (68.9 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-25-2021 at 09:23 PM.