View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 07:06 PM
John

I'll share one from 3 years ago. This is one of my all time favorite little league memories. Coached my son for several years in rec ball. It's been a lot of fun for me and him. Our team (9 and 10 yr olds) is in the semi-finals, all tied up in the last inning.

We were losing light, so you might even say it was gloaming. This was likely the last inning. I was in charge that night and coaching 3rd base as our head coach, Bill, was in Dubai for work. I found out afterwards one of the parents was live streaming the game over Facebook Live so Bill was able to watch the last inning.

Our first two batters made an out and that brought up my son. He has exercise induced asthma and had an asthma attack a few innings before but recovered well enough to stay in the game. The asthma is a kick in the shorts because he is fast. He manages to work the count full and draws a walk.

Now we have one of our best hitters up at the plate. I am over at 3rd and we have signs but I know it doesn't matter. Everyone knows he is running. I didn't even flash a sign, I just gave him a head nod over to 2nd. I hear a chorus of shouts from the other teams dugout behind me "He's running, he's running." The pitcher goes into his windup and he is running full speed into second. The catcher makes a throw and the ball scoots out into center field.

My son jumps up and heads towards third base. The middle infielders are scrambling after the throw into second. While he is halfway to 3rd, I take a step back and start windmilling my arm sending him home. He rounds 3rd with a full head of steam. At the same time half the world away watching on a laptop in a hotel room in Dubai at 3am, my buddy Bill yells "Send him, John, Send him!". Probably waking up a number of his fellow hotel guests. The shortstop finally grabs the ball and turns to fire it home.

I remember crouching down and grimacing after he turned the corner because I knew it would be a close play. The throw comes into the catcher at the same time he starts sliding into home. In a cloud of dust his leg touches home plate just as the catcher goes to make the tag. The umpire swings his arms out and yells safe!

At this point, the kids come pouring out of the dugout, jumping up and down like a bunch of delirious 10 year olds to celebrate going to the championship game.

...and that is probably my all-time favorite baseball memory. To be able to share in a moment like that with your own son is one of the greatest feelings I will ever know.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC