View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 03:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
So who IS going to decide? You? Mark? I can, however, tell you who decided when slavery was legal. I can tell you who decided when Native Americans were being marched into oblivion. I can guess that a poll of Germans in 1946 would have shown overwhelming support for keeping the Swastika as the country's symbol. If things swing a little too far in the direction of trying to correct America's long and sordid history of oppression of minorities of all kinds, that seems a small price to pay in the ledger of atonement. I suspect, though, that many of the objectors have no interest in atonement of any kind, and probably little awareness that there is anything to atone for.
It's a good and important discussion. But not for this particular thread (or even this forum). I edited out my previous comments, so we can just focus on pennants here.

I have a collection of Willard Mullin original artwork, circa 1940s-50s. Mullin created "The Brooklyn Bum" and used extreme characters to depict the Indians, Braves, Pirates, etc. I won't post the images, as many would be deemed offensive by today's standards.

I just found it interesting that the work of cartoon artists like Mullin/Gallo/O'Mealia graced the front pages of every major newspaper and The Sporting News every single day from the 1940s through at least the 1980s. Now it is a lost art form that is rarely seen. Perhaps partly because of the print media decline and partly because of the subject matter being more restrictive under today's standards.

Same holds true for the LSU Chinese Bandits Pennant posted by Rob... definitely would not be made today. Interesting topics for sure, but best suited for another day/another forum.