View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 02:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My sister flew out here to see me a year after I moved to the pizza hell hole known as California, and she had secreted a whole pie from Little Vincent's (in Huntington on Long Island), what we call 'heroin pizza,' in one of her suitcases. Those eight individually wrapped slices was the best meal(s) I ever had in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I call California pizza 'bread,' because that's all it is, a thick slice of bread with a whisper of sauce on top of it. Truly terrible (although CostCo has something that it getting more and more passable). I can't tell you how many times I walked into pizza parlors out here with "New York Style!!!" emblazoned on the windows and after eating a slice, told the owners/clerks, "Are you kidding me with this????!!!!!" Funnier still is the usual explanation that since the water is different on this coast, the pizza will never truly be like New York. My reply is, "It's not the water, it's the fact your crust is two inches thick (so it doesn't even flop, it's as stiff as a board) and the cheese is so scant I can see the crust through it."

On a side note, although this state is only a stone's throw away from Asia, there are no Chinese take-out restaurants like you find every seven feet in New York. You want to grab Chinese food out here (in NorCal at least), you have to sit in a restaurant and dine. No cheap, quick menus with a million different numbers to choose from and take home. Wish I had some venture capital so I could start a string of Elm's Chinese Take-Out joints.

But I digress...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.