View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 07:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I said reduce liabilities IN divorce, which to me meant reducing what one would owe the spouse and so in effect means reducing one's own assets. But sorry if I was imprecise there.

And rational or not I think it does happen that guys getting divorced try to hide their collection or cash part of it out. There was a member here who shall remain nameless who had his whole collection on a personal website. When he became headed for divorce, it disappeared.
No problemo, i simply took the liability term from a different viewpoint. We're actually on the same wavelength. And I do think what you said is very rational and can and has/does happen. It was a very good, alternative selling reason, in addition to mine regarding sales to take advantage of otherwise unrealized capital losses. I still think the utilization of capital losses would happen more than divorced related sales, but both still happen. And I'm guessing there are still other plausible reasons that neither of us has thought of as well. Just saying you can't automatically say all weird looking sales are due to shilling or attempts at market manipulation.