View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 04:56 PM
Val Kehl

Seeking to learn more about "Wool's," I found this small, 16-page, undated (believed to be from the 1920's) paper booklet (no author mentioned) (see below) that has an ad on the back page for and that was apparently distributed by Wool's American-Maid Bread. This ad indicates that Wool's was a member of the Quality Bakers of America ("QBA"), which was founded as a cooperative in the early 1920's in PA. I also found pics of a 1916 invoice from the R. H. Wool Company, Inc. (see below), a bakery in Ithaca, NY, to a customer in Orwell, PA.

The QBA still exists, and the gentleman I spoke with kindly agreed to do a bit of research of their archives when he found time to determine if this R. H. Wool Co. is indeed the company behind the Wool's American-Maid Bread ads on the backs of the W551 cards.

The only other similar card issue that comes to mind is the 1922 Gassler's American-Maid Bread issue (related to the W575-1 issue) (see my example of Sam Rice below). This kind QBA rep also agreed to see if he can find any info re the Gassler company.

If I learn anything more about the issuers of the Wool's and/or Gassler's cards, I'll update this thread.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.