View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 02:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Notice that the bottom one had no bids and didn't sell, and that was less than two months before the photo sold for $1.4 million. The top one sold for $763 in August of last year. I'm guessing that despite the Beckett COA, there was serious doubt about the authenticity. If he could actually write all those things, that would change the entire discussion about his ability to sign his name.

But the one thing I'd like to know is, if the new owner of the photo decides to do an analysis that shows the ink has been on the photo since 1911, if Joe didn't sign it, who did? It looks nothing like the way his wife signed his name, and if the photographer or someone else signed it what exemplar did they use?
Smith could have obtained an exemplar not too much later (I haven't entirely followed the story of the 1912 but isn't there one from the Cleveland Dealer) and added it to the photo for completeness. The dating wouldn't be precise to 1911 I can't imagine.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.