View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yes but someone gets to log that sticker into their Registry Set and now say their card and set is “better.” The joke’s on that “winner” because there are 3s and 4s that blow that 7 away. Funny things happen when people let PSA override their eyeballs. Even funnier is that’s a high sticker grade and there are way more than enough sticker collectors aka “investors” out there for the winner to flip it in a few years for a tidy profit.
Agree 100% with both bolded points.

My only PSA registry set (and my only experience with the PSA registry) is my 524-card T206 set. I can attest first-hand that registry rankings is a very strong drug and has lead me to buy (hell over pay for) some cards, as "upgrades", purely for the number on flip. In my opinion, the registry is genius for this exact reason (and I do not like to give PSA credit for anything). Because of the registry, some people buy only PSA and they are constantly upgrading to see their name climb the registry leader board.

I also agree that because of the registry, the winner of the 33 Goudey PSA 7 will likely sell it for a profit down the line. Another reason why the registry is so genius -- it allows for some risk mitigation on resale because your potential buyers are not only people who want the card, but also registry collectors. If you pick the right sets -- like T206, 1933 Goudey, 1952 Topps -- there should always be enough people out there putting together registry sets so that the likelihood of selling your over graded card at a profit (or at least break even) is increased, if not almost guaranteed.