View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 04:41 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

Of course in the specific case you mentioned, Feller played the vast majority of his career against little to no African American competition.
Ordinarily I would apologize for risking taking a thread off the rails, but after 871 posts on the main, unsolvable question, not in this case.

I have another element to ponder, and it is related. How much impact did it have on pitchers, in particular, to have been playing in their prime before integration?

It's easy to say the bats of Aaron, Mays, Frank and Jackie Robinson, etc. would've made a pitchers' job tougher, and their ERAs higher, but consider a guy like Gaylord Perry. Sure, he had to pitch against Aaron, Clemente, and Frank, but on the other hand, he was getting run support from Mays and McCovey, not to mention serious defensive assistance from Say Hey and Stretch.

Koufax benefited greatly from Maury Wills, Roseboro, and Tommy Davis, although he had to pitch to Frank, Henry, etc. Junior Gilliam saved his World Series Game 7 shutout in 1965 and Lou Johnson's homer was the run that won it.

My point is, when the color barrier came down, it strengthened the quality of MLB pretty much across the board. This hurt pitchers in the sense they had to face some good and great, previously barred, players. But they also got more offensive and defensive support. So, from the standpoint of a pitcher, does this make it a push?

To partially answer my own question, I think the color barrier helped the pitchers on the teams that took full advantage of integration (Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Braves) and hurt those that didn't (Red Sox, most notably.) It would really be frustrating to be a Red Sox pitcher in the 1950s and early 1960s, watching all these terrific Black players coming into MLB, but virtually none ending up on your team.

Last edited by Mark17; 11-15-2021 at 04:44 PM.