View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 04:38 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
But on the other hand, Koufax might have been able to extend his career with advances in surgical techniques.

It's all just too speculative when one tries to make direct comparisons.

Another point that has occurred to me, today's pitchers I presume have access to data that literally analyzes every pitch a hitter has ever taken or swung at and I presume there are people who can turn that into useful information. In Koufax's day, they probably had little more than anecdotal information to go on, and in pre-team meetings came up with brilliant strategies like smoke him inside. Counterpoint, I guess, is that batters now have the same information about the pitcfhers.
Great points Peter. Though he's got other issues to deal with, it is well-known that Trevor Bauer has gone to unprecedented lengths to scientifically study pitching, aerodynamics, spin rates, and so on using equipment and technology Grove and Spahn never had. And he is also known for his somewhat unique training techniques and exercises. And he was able to parlay all that into at least one Cy Young Award.

Last edited by BobC; 11-19-2021 at 04:39 PM.