View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm not sure Collins-McCarthy is a good barometer of anything because desirable players are seldom offered. Cards like that move independently of 'market' forces; they are high on want lists.

As I mentioned in the 'down prices' thread, I track Exhibit cards (for obvious reasons) and the 1920s superstars are moving up in every auction, even in lower grades. HA sold a low grade 1925 Gehrig for $105,000, an unthinkable price a few years ago. Ruth is the king, as befits the GOAT. At this point any solo 1920s Exhibit, even a 1-2 quality card, is a $2,000+ item, more for a tough issue. I would guesstimate that a 1923 Ruth in roughest grade would sell for $5,000+. The real mover lately has been Cobb. He always lagged Ruth and Gehrig by a substantial margin but his cards are going into four figures now. Johnson cards have been stealthily gaining price to the point where you are looking at four figures for a mid-grade card. Next up I would think would be Speaker, Hornsby and Alexander. Those are in the $400-$600 range now in mid-grade. I'd probably stock up on lower grade but presentable examples of those (if you can find them); if things roll on they should be good for a 50%-100% pop. Eddie Collins cards are criminally low. I was sorely tempted to chase the 1925 last night but I chased the E254 instead; gotta love the Horner portraits on those cards.

An interesting story has been the RCs in the Exhibit sets, besides Gehrig. Grove's PC Back is commanding some serious respect now ($8400 in a 5 last night) as is Foxx's PC Back. I expect them to be at $10K in the next 2-5 years.

Another card that has moved up is the Exhibit Jackie Robinson. The principal issue there has been trying to ID which year it debuted. I know for sure it was in the 1950 run because I've seen the checklist card for that year. Not sure before that, but it is an early card. LOTG closed a lot of 2 at $720, raw. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit the level of the Paige card.

All assumptions are premised on the economy not crapping the bed...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-28-2021 at 06:36 PM.