View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I grew up north of Columbus but we got Ghoulardi. Wasn’t Parma the butt of his jokes? A Cleveland kid turned me on to RUSH, my first year at Ohio U.
Yes he did make fun of Parma, that was the reason for my quoting one of his famous lines on the show, "Parma spelled backwoods is - A M R A P! (And there actually is a street in Parma named Amrap Drive.) He also did a recurring comedy bit on his show called "Parma Place", which was a takeoff on the soap opera "Peyton Place" And it was so well liked, the city and Mayor of Parma contacted the local CBS TV station to have the bit removed from the air, which they did going forward.

But that isn't Parma's only claim to fame. Remember the old "The Drew Carey Show" that was on from the mid-'90s to the early '00s? Well, most people always seem to remember "Cleveland Rocks" as the show's theme song. Truth is, for the very first, and a few other, seasons, the theme song was actually a little ditty called "Moon Over Parma", that Carey actually sang.

And that's a great shout out for Ohio U. (one of the best party schools of all time) and Rush. I actually saw Rush perform on their initial tour in the U.S., promoting their first album, at an iconic Cleveland rock-n-roll club and nite spot, the Agora. Remember sitting at the very back of the room, on top of a table, leaning up against the wall with my bottle of beer in hand, listening to and being blown away by the opening riff from "Working Man". And even then I wasn't more than 40 feet away from Geddy Lee. And it was a Monday night to boot. Good stuff!

Last edited by BobC; 01-25-2022 at 03:28 PM.