View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 02:50 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
OK, as everyone is on the same page, I will be the contrarian (a.k.a. self-designated sh*tkicker).

Who is going to care one whit about Sherry Magie in 20 years?

Is the next generation of investment bankers and crypto millionaires going to go bonkers over him for some reason?

Is he about to get the ESPN Final Dance treatment?
It's all about the hype. Lot's of attention "now" probably means people will revere this card in the future.

It's easy to remember the T206 Wagner because of over 5 decades of hype. Yeah, I get it, it's Wagner. Who's Magee?

Just my personal thought - this card has been hyped to the point where it's a must have card in the (arguably) most collected turn of the century tobacco card offering. If people with cash want it because it's so hyped, they'll pay the price. If I had unlimited resources, I'd probably own one. But since I don't, I'll spend my cash on stuff that I like. Sometimes it just turns into one of those "cardboard measuring contest" things.

Just my opinion, as long as cardboard prices rise, this will also continue to rise. The more this becomes a deep pockets guy hobby, then you can rest assured that this card will probably rise in price faster than other cards in the set because of the hype.