View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 05:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ewe... Just my humble opinion - without actually having it in hand to look at all angles it's tough to say. That said, the Paige has "that" look but would hate to make that judgement call on one picture.

I can't see anything wrong with the Phillip card because of the picture size and angle.

Just curious, what grades do the cards have?
No problem. Both cards came from original owner collections. Cards that were undisturbed for 70 plus years. Thank god collections still exist to be found although quite rare as we all know. I've been fortunate to have been in a few great original finds since 1976 including these and some 1957-58 Topps Basketball that were found in their original vending machines (1 penny type). Those cards were most likely pulled from vending or wax packs and then put into the machines by the store owner way back when. Most of those had bat ears and were found in an attic that had vending machines from a long ago closed general store in Vermont. This was over 30 years ago so i digress.

The 1948s show "bat ears" a bunch and were graded by 3 companies (SGC, BVG and PSA) trying to play the "grading" game long ago. In over about 75 instances NONE were ever deemed altered. The Bowman Basketball averaged out at 8s across the collection. The Paige got a 1.5 due to the tape.

My only point (no pun intended) was to show you a couple cards that came from original owners that had never seen the light of day and thankfully never have seen a blade other than the one at Bowman and Leaf back in 1948.

I just feel that saying what you said about "bat ears" is a bit misleading and not true in all instances.

Thanks for letting me rant! lol

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-09-2022 at 05:46 PM.