View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 04:25 PM
Kyle May

Default Net54 Four Team Trade

In an era of collecting where cash is king, new trading stories are few and far between. So I figured I'd share mine...

I posted on here about the Standard Biscuit set (and the other "family" sets related to the E135 set) last week, and specifically mentioned Grover Hartley. A little while later, I get a PM from a gentleman stating that he has a 1917 D350-2 Standard Biscuit Grover Hartley he would move, but only in a trade for another D350-2 (he wouldn't outright sell it) in good condition. So I was now on the hunt for another D350-2 (it's not like the set is scarce or anything - easy chase, right?). A few hours later, I found one, but... the gentleman wouldn't sell it either; he'd only trade it for a 1916 D350-1 or a 1921 D350-3. Off to find one of those, cause they can't be hard either, right? Sure enough, Brian Van Horn had a 1921 D350-3 posted in one of his previous monthly sales threads that fit the criteria (set & condition wise). I contacted him to see if he still had it, and sure enough he did (along with the Universal Toy Tris Speaker and other HoFers I got the other day). I went back to the Hartley fella and told him I've got a trade planned out to get him what he needs for his Hartley. Done deal.

So in synopsis...

Hartley D350-2 Guy Receives D350-2
Non-Hartley D350-2 Guy Receives D350-3
Brian Van Horn Receives Cash Considerations
I Receive a 1917 D350-2 Standard Biscuit Grover Hartley

This leaves just Weil Baking (1 known to exist) and a T207 Anonymous Back Factory 25 (I have the Factory 3) to complete the entire player run for Grover Hartley (unless a Merchant's Bakery is discovered).

I don't know if the unnamed parties want to be known publicly, but they know who they are, and I would like to thank all 3 involved immensely for making this possible. This is quite the unicorn card, quite the opportunity to obtain such a card, and quite the trade to make it happen.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame