View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 06:55 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I'm not super familiar with the particulars of this auction, but I do think that the last couple of years has shaken up the market in ways that will have a ripple effect for a long time.

It's hard (for me at least) to know what is going on. Which prices went up as a result of legitimate entry of new money into the market and what is driven by other factors. Of course, when funds get involved, the way that they operate could mean that at any point, one (or more) could decide that cards are not a great vehicle for storing and growing wealth, and many items can quickly reenter the market. Of course, there was likely a decent amount of "pump-and-dump" going on as well.

Certain markets, like the ticket market, seem to be maintaining many of the increases to this point. The card market has definitely seen some settling on prices.

Many of the major auction houses have shifted for 2-4 auctions a year to monthly auctions, which I don't think will benefit the hobby in the long run. It means less impressive and interesting auctions, a focus on cards over other collectibles (which is fine for some but leaves segments of the hobby out) since cards are super easy photograph, catalog and describe very quickly.

I haven't sent anything to an auction house in a couple of years but I wonder what the explosion of auctions has done for fees to the auction house... has the competition to add items meant the houses are willing to be more generous with consignors?

Interesting times. I'm glad that in general my collecting areas are obscure enough that they are not part of this whole rollercoaster.
I agree about the monthly auctions. I think they are over saturating the market.