View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 10:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Probably why I find modern breaks so uninteresting. Buncha card queens going ape$hit over something that has no meaning to me.
I actually have a couple younger friends that I knew through a place I used to work at that are fairly well-known Breakers. I even went along and helped them one year at the National in Chicago, in the Breakers pavilion the whole time. They (Breakers) aren't entirely as bad as you make them out to be, but they definitely have to try and keep interest and enthusiasm up during the breaks. They obviously don't want to come across to their patrons and customers as putting down most of the cards they open up as the not-so-valuable-crap that a lot of it really is. And they do have to play up to people to keep them coming back. For example, the one friend who does most all of the on camera work and talking, he is known for his Harry Caray impressions while doing breaks. Whatever it takes to help keep people entertained and interested.

They're sports AND business minded guys though, so they aren't really big into collecting themselves, just in doing something sports related they can make a profit at. And they do make a profit. Not my kind of collecting though. I'm not much into modern manufactured rarities. So in that respect, I'm much more like you.

Last edited by BobC; 02-07-2022 at 10:19 PM.