View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 12:41 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
1. I occasionally use it for high dollar autographs if I am on the fence and just want another opinion without spending a few hundred dollars. If the opinion is "Likely not authentic", I pass on the item for certain. To be clear, most unauthenticated expensive autographs rarely are opined "Likely authentic" because they are not authentic. However, they have passed several Jackie Robinsons for me in the past and they were indeed real.
2. It does not guarantee that a full authentication would yield the same result. However, they generally are pretty careful opining "Likely Authentic" unless they are pretty sure but it could indeed come back "Not authentic."
They charge $300 for Babe Ruth full authentication and $10 for a "Quick Opinion" so you can see the services are not equal.
3. The 3rd parties could indeed disagree if submitted to more than one but probably not likely.
4. The "Quick Opinion" can only be used by the original requester for the $10 credit against the full authentication fee. Granted, it is not the best option in the world for authentication but can weed out really bad forgeries that fool novice collectors.

They do not put anything on the item on the "Quick Opinion" as they do not have the item in hand. That is why they cannot guarantee it would pass full authentication but again it has some value for a low price. Also, you get zero explanation as to the conclusion. You get only the decision likely good or likely bad. It is very unlikely a "Likely Not Authentic" conclusion would ever yield the opposite on full authentication.

Thanks Randy appreciate the info and answers. I had in the past seen some quick card authentication services where they'll put a card in a holder and throw a sticker/seal on it. Forget what TPG(s) at least used to do that, or if any of them still do. And was wondering if TPG(s) did something similar with this Quick Opinion autograph service.

As I figured, no guarantee, but from what you're saying it sounds like you at least get a credit for the Quick Opinion fee if you follow up for a full authentication submission. I understand the Quick Opinion isn't foolproof, but as you said, you can get a fairly good idea if it isn't likely authentic and save the difference of what a full submission would cost. Thanks.