Thread: eBay vault
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Good bye PWCC vault!
Maybe not!

I didn't see in that article where it said this vault was going. If memory serves, both PWCC and Goldin have their vaults in states with no sales tax. Oregon and Delaware, respectively. I believe. I can still see some people using either of them to save a few bucks if Ebay puts their vault in a state that collect sales tax. In fact, if Ebay does put this vault in a state with sales taxes, depending on which state it is and what their sales tax rate is, it could actually end up costing someone more to use their vault if they live in one of the states with no sales taxes, or one that has a lower sales tax rate than the state the vault gets located in.

Also, the article gave no info on costs to use their vault, if they are insuring what they're going to be holding for you, what happens if they lose/damage something, and maybe most importantly, I certainly didn't see anything about Ebay making loans/advances to people for items being held in their vault. Those loans/advances are a big deal for PWCC I'm betting. Also, if you use PWCC's or Goldin's vaults, and want to sell something, I believe you just contact them and tell them what to sell, and they take care of the rest. So how is that going to work with Ebay and things held and subsequently sold from their vault? Maybe they're planning to set up their own separate company as a vault seller option, and end up competing against PWCC and Goldin. Or maybe they partner up with an already existing consignment seller, like Probstein or Greg Morris Cards, to handle and offer such a service to their vault customers. Kind of going along the same lines in partnering with CSG for their new authentication service.

A lot of unanswered questions for now. And this should be very interesting as it appears another big player may possibly be looking to vertically expand in our hobby industry. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm!