Thread: eBay vault
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
https://pages.ebay.com/vault/?mkevt=...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Apparently no sales tax for those who were curious.

Wow what a lucky bunch of collectors we are. We have 3 entities now who can assist us in avoiding sales tax and can protect our cards at the same time!

Thanks for the link Chase. And that is exactly what I expected they would do. But for this to work, they'd have to have the vault located in one the five states with no sales taxes. Didn't see anything in the link about where they located though. Anyone seen or heard anything about what state they picked? My guess is they're in either Oregon or Delaware, the same states PWCC and Goldin have their vaults, respectively.

By the way, did you notice in that link where it said that if you remove items from the Ebay vault you will end up being charged applicable sales tax? That is interesting because that implies there is a permanent liability for sales tax on items once you've bought them, should you ever move somewhere else with them that has a higher sales tax rate than what you originally paid. But that is totally untrue. Because if it were, people moving from one state with low or no sales tax to a state with a high sales tax would end up potentially owing sales tax to their new state of residence on clothes, furnishings, and everything else they brought with them, even if those belongings had originally been purchased years ago. There are no states I'm aware of that would ever do that.

Think of it this way. You live in Delaware where there's no sales tax, and acquire a really nice '52 Topps Mantle online through a big AH. So when it is delivered to your home, no sales tax is due. Oh, and you keep the card in a safe in your home. A couple years later you and the family pick up and move to California, and take all your belongings with you to CA, including the '52 Mantle. There is no CA sales tax agent waiting at the border to ask for CA sales tax on the Mantle. So why would that be different if you kept it in a vault instead of your house?

Something else to consider and ask about in regards to selecting and using a vault service.