View Single Post
Old 03-23-2022, 04:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I get that.
However, what kind of true collector doesn't want to have their cards in hand or close by? As a collector it makes no sense to me. And I get the ole, "a collector can collect any way that want to" adage. I collect with cards not pictures online from a vault. I check out my physical cards very frequently. To each their own..
Leon,

If this buyer lived in a state with say a 7% sales tax rate, using PWCC's vault just saved him about $6,500 he'd otherwise have to pay as sales tax. That savings could allow someone to pick up a few really nice additional cards as well for one's collection. And it has been discussed before about how we don't know the specific policy of each of these "vaults" currently out there on how they'll treat sales tax on items removed from them after they've been left in one for an extended period of time. Chances are that after enough time has passed, you could remove items from the vault and not owe any sales tax.

So granted, a real collector would likely want such a great card in hand. But how many real collectors may be willing and happy to wait an extra six months, a year, or maybe even longer, and leave the card in the vault before asking it be sent to them, knowing that by doing do so they may have saved enough in sales tax to buy a decent T206 Cobb as well? And in this case the card is slabbed, so it's not like the owner would be able to truly hold, feel, or even smell the actual card anyway.

Now this may not be acceptable to you, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that quite a few true collectors wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of something like this, if presented with the proper situation. Just saying.....