View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 01:34 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
How about pitchers who went 9 innings, let alone 6+??? I remember marveling at Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott (I am not an Astros fan), who would pitch 9 innings, strike out a ton of batters, and then come back and do it all over a few days later. Middle relievers and pitch counts are two things that have killed the sport for me.
I get your point, but I also remember Mark Fidrych being completely worthless by his age 22 season, after throwing nearly as many complete games in his Rookie season as Justin Verlander has had in his entire career.

I really don't care much about pitch counts, but pace of games has gotten ridiculous. They can try to figure out a way to quicken pitching changes or limit roster spots for pitchers so they have to try to pitch smarter and not harder, but the biggest issue will always be selling commercial space so television networks can justify paying as much as the do for the prestige of having a major sports league under contract...and it's faaaaaar worse during the playoffs.

I attend plenty of minor league games...and the pace of play in those leagues is, shall I say, still pretty brisk.

Sometimes I get annoyed I haven't even had the time to enjoy a 2nd beer before the 7th inning comes around and concessions start to close down.