View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default "The Scandal" Turns 3

This week marks the third anniversary of the Blowout thread on the PWCC 1952 Topps Mantle that quickly morphed into a far-reaching scandal with every day seeming to bring new accusations against card doctors and their enablers, and outed cards in droves. There were stories in the national press, an FBI investigation, subpoenas at the National, astonishing ostrich acts by TPGs and the culprits themselves, and so forth.

So, where are we after 3 years? The cynic in me is tempted to say, exactly as we were before.

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, there have been no indictments or guilty pleas.

Speculation is that Brent Huigens, who had been cooperating with the FBI, decided not to. But again, I don't know that.

I also don't know the status of the investigation itself. I certainly hope it's ongoing, although I can understand why some would think otherwise.

More importantly, though, how many have changed their behavior as a result of all the revelations? Have you stopped buying from people who were outed? Have you increased your research on cards before buying? Have you changed what you buy? Or are you still pretty much relying on the flip to tell you the card is unaltered (if you even care)?

Personally, I had high hopes this would bring about major changes to the hobby or the graded card segment anyhow. Now, I think not.

As you were.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.