View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 10:50 AM
John

I've collected since the mid 1980's. My collecting habits have changed greatly over time. Initially I focused on building sets and collecting Cubs cards. As a result I had boxes upon boxes of commons. I was able to offload a bunch of them many years ago. I held onto a number of the sets.

Now I just collect Cubs cards and random things I find fun. I like to build small subsets that I create for myself. I finished up an Orbit gum (PR3) pin set not too long ago and it hangs nicely in a shadowbox on my office wall. That was 60 pin backs and still took me ~7 years to finish. I don't think I would even entertained that 30 years ago.

Right now I am collecting PSA slabbed Randy Hundley Topps base cards. And still looking for some 2016 A&G Cubs mini parallels. I also snag fun (for me) cards and they end up in binders for me to pull out now and again to enjoy. At some point, I think I am going to work on a 33 Goudey Cubs card set. Again, just something fun for me to enjoy.

I'm not interested in chasing the rookies or building sets like I did back in the Junk Wax era. I don't begrudge anyone from doing that now. I've been there and done that. I suspect many of the older collectors here were as well. I am comfortable in what I want to collect and I'll enjoy it accordingly. Seasons change and so do we. It's supposed to be fun, it doesn't have to stay the same.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC