Thread: Is It Just Me?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 03:58 PM
Rick Clemens

Although never a large seller, I stopped selling much in the way of vintage sports cards on ebay after they removed the category for pre war baseball cards. The 1099 threshold discouraged a lot of sellers as well. Now Ebay has changed the way they count page views . This change revealed a much smaller number of viewers than sellers were led to believe just a few months back. Ebay's explanation to the page view shrinkage is that they stopped counting bots, and web crawlers. One of their customer service reps told me that many people have called and were quite concerned that page views had diminished significantly. As an example I have one baseball postcard on ebay from 1907 that has been up for a few months. Prior to the page view change I would refresh it every week or so and get 20 or 30 views on the first day. Now it has 1 view. Ebay's explanation that the change was made for accuracy seems unlikely. Why would ebay want sellers to see that the actual views are way less than they had been reporting for years. Maybe that explains the lack of better items on ebay . Dealers may be holding back for the National as well. I think the ebay issues may also explain why there are so many pre war items appearing in National Auctions.