View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 12:19 PM
Ray Bumgardner

Default Raffling off a T206 set?

My apologies if this has been brought up before. I realize it's rare that complete (520) T206 sets come up for sale or auction. I think it would be a great idea if an auction house or dealer or collector would raffle a set off. Each raffle ticket would be for one random card in the set. Maybe it could take place at the National to be all above board. It certainly would get a lot of attention.

As I try to get to the coveted 520, I would welcome the opportunity to "win" one of the pricey cards. The question is what would I pay?

$100 is a no-brainer. That's 52K for the owner.
$200 is also a no-brainer. And 104K for the owner.
$250 I'm still in. 130K for the owner.
$300 is where I have doubts. 156K for the owner.

These seems like good prices for the owner assuming a low grade set, like A's and 1's-2's if graded.

There are 20-30 cards that stand out value-wise. Probably nearly another 100 or so that command a premium over commons.

Assuming $250 a ticket...
There's a small chance (~5%) you would be ecstatic with one of the biggies. Another 100 (~18%) people would at least get a card that has good value ("regular" HOFers, SL's). Sadly, nearly 400 (~77%) would be "stuck" with a common. A $250 SGC/PSA 1 T206 common is definitely a loss, but I'd take it for the 1 in 20 chance of a Cobb, Demmitt, Matty, Cy Young, et al. And I wouldn't feel too "ripped off" with a Jennings, Griffith or a SL in a 1 or 2.

So what do you think? Am I crazy in thinking there would be 520 people willing to pay $250 a ticket? Is that way too high or low? What would you pay? Would graded vs. raw make a difference, assuming you could see the cards?

I don't recall seeing an idea like this, but I may have just forgotten.

I'm not sure of all the legalities, but I would love to see it.
And I'm not even much of a gambler.