View Single Post
Old 08-31-2022, 07:21 PM
Steve

Default Deja Vu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
Mr. Bishop

When I was putting my childhood collection back together in the early '80's, I was after all the sets I could remember, but not interested in the 1953 Topps, mainly because I disdained the cheesy artwork - even as an eight-year-old card connoisseur. However, as I exited a cardshow one night in 1982, the last dealer table had an album open to the '53 T third series and when I glanced at number 186, the name "Charlie Bishop" made my knees weak. I pulled out my wallet and quickly handed over twenty-five bucks for thirty EX/MT commons, which seemed to make the dealer pretty happy with only a few minutes before closing time. Puzzling over my strange attraction to a very common card of a very obscure player, as well as my newly developed interest in the set, I later realized that I must have been fascinated by that card as a kid because the proprietor of the corner butcher shop on my street was named "Charlie Bishop," and he bore a certain resemblance to the ballplayer pictured on the card. Who knows, maybe they were the same guy?