View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Anson was probably the best non-pitcher of the 19th century and possibly the best counting pitchers. To decide who one thinks is the best of all time would necessitate, I would think, looking at the best of every era. Anson makes perfect sense as a legitimate candidate. Anson, Cobb, Mays, there’s several candidates but I think Ruth’s level of sheer dominance of his time makes him the clear #1.
I would argue that Brouthers ranks above Anson for 19th century hitters. Anson has the counting numbers, but that's about it, as Brouthers even has the edge in batting titles with 5 to Anson's 4. I don't even think it's particularly close, Brouthers takes the best 19th century hitter title. If you dig even further into sabermetrics, Brouthers lead only grows. I added Delahanty to the stats comparison as he ranks ahead of Anson as well, although still behind Brouthers.

As for Ruth and Mays... An argument can be made for both and while I would say Ruth on most days, there are days when I think it is Mays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnsonVBrouthersVDelahanty.JPG (42.9 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 09-04-2022 at 02:51 PM.