View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 08:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgaynor View Post
Early 1980's. There was a monthly price guide that competed with Beckett (until Beckett sued them) that was really promoting rookie cards and hyping them by putting a "RC" after the players name. There was not really that much real time market information available back then, so the kind of made up the prices, but it really advanced the rookie card market by bringing in the investors. Pretty much any card with an "RC" would bring a premium. SCD was filled with ads of dealers selling the rookie card in lots of 25, 50, 100 for the investors.
The bold part should have let all us collectors back them know there was so many around they would never be worth big money. I know back in the late 80s- early 90s bigger dealers could buy huge lots of specific players directly from the manufacturers. I don't remember the year anymore but I seen a large table covered in stacks of Don Mattingly cards fresh of the press that all went to one buyer. I was told this was very common for star players at the time. It also explains why sometimes when you opened a box of cards you got little or no star players in it.