View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I've also read from multiple sources Johnson threw in the low to mid 90's.
I wrote a book about the guy and never came across anything like that, pure conjecture in any case. I wouldn't argue that in general, pitchers today throw harder than they did 100 years ago, or 50 years ago for that matter. On average bigger, stronger, better conditioning and training, better coaching in mechanics. But I also believe that the big, strong farm boys from the past threw as hard, or in Johnson's case, harder, than anybody today. They pitched to stay effective for nine innings, or ten, or twelve, or fifteen, and three hundred in a season, relievers for however long they were needed. What if Walter Johnson knew he was only expected to go five or so innings every game, every fifth day, for less than 200 innings a season, or he was coming out of the bullpen to go an inning at the most? I don't think any batter today, no matter what size bat they use, would want to face him under those circumstances. Yes, these guys do throw harder today, but most of them also throw their arms out doing it. Those old guys knew how to pitch, not just throw.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 10-04-2022 at 06:30 PM.