View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 09:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

The strength most players have, I think they could swing a heavy bat easily.
I'm not sure about effectively, because anyone doing something several thousand times gets used to doing it a certain way. And the adjustment to a heavy bat from a light one would change that a lot.

Could I do it? I prefer a heavy bat, my hands simply won't move any faster. Never tried anything that heavy, but I could probably be just as good/bad with a big bat as any other.

I did try a cage that was in the low 90's. where I lived at the time had a minor league team and an ex player started a batting cage place that included a couple that the local minor leaguers as well as college and HS teams could practice at.
A buck or so for 20 pitches. All I could see was the ball leave the arm of the machine, a flash about halfway and hear the thump as it hit the padded backstop.
Second batch I had a guy watching who looked like a ball player. On what was over all pitch 40, I just barely touched the ball. He said to go again, but I'd had enough, and just the slightest foul tip of a ball that was roughly major league speed at the time was enough.

That totally made me think very differently about the guy on any team struggling and batting under .200.