View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

God himself could not have won with the 1962-65 Mets rosters.

The Yankees did have many really good players in the Stengel years. Solid players but not the guys you'd think of as top-tier players or HOFers. The Dodgers seemed way more front-loaded for most of that time: Campanella, Hodges, Reese, Robinson, Furillo, Snider come to mind. The Yankees were really deep, and that wins games.

I forgot about Rizzuto (just like the HOF voters); definitely was an integral starter during the 5-pennant run. Mize was a HOFer but he only appeared in over 100 games once in his Yankees days.

A team can have all the talent in the world but management decisions can drive the clown car off the road. Like the 1982-94 Yankees. The Boss kept signing whoever and the teams won lots of games but nothing in the post-season.

All that aside, I am not sure Roberts should get run. He had to contend with some season-ending critical injuries (losing Buehler was huge; went from 4th in Cy Young voting to sayonara for 2022). Add to that Bellinger (pronounced "turd") and you are down two critical players. I think he did really well regardless. The short format playoffs just favor a streaky team.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-18-2022 at 12:00 PM.