View Single Post
Old 10-29-2022, 03:30 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Both great. Looks like the sign was meant to be filled in for an event of some kind, related to apples, or perhaps stores where Snoboy apples were available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Wow! Very cool sign. Never seen one of those in many years of collecting. Must’ve been utilized for grocery store promo/display. Love the graphics!
Thanks, guys. I was surprised as heck to find it at an antique store anniversary sale. At first I thought it was a repop or a fantasy piece, but I couldn’t find any examples online.

Another collector put me onto this webpage today from the Washington apple folks. Looks like they celebrated their 20th anniversary in 1957 (Braves WS winning season) and they ran some magazine / newspaper ads with Burdette. This piece certainly must have been an in-store piece used to advertise apples where they’d write the price in that white box. I imagine that it was used in the Milwaukee area.

I was concerned about the “missing” section along the right side, but it appears to have been made that way upon examination. There’s a decent crease running across the middle from the missing part so it would stand to reason that it was made or utilized that way and the crease occurred during its display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D9A8169D-FFEA-49B7-BFA6-5FEC3F70D0FC.jpg (138.5 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 11D5D6C3-A4C0-4A6E-92D9-CF09254AAE9E.jpg (50.3 KB, 252 views)