View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 03:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampertb View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
I don't like the fact that there's no Mantle or Killebrew, but overall it looks like '63 Fleer is the probable winner. I'll just get a Topps Mantle or something to pop in there... a lil' mix and match to fill the holes.

One of these days (later days) I'm going to rebuild the '71 Topps set that I had, but sold. Boy, wish I'd never done that....

Thanks again, all.
Richard,

I think '63 Fleer is your best, wisest choice, in looking at what you're trying to do. And even though Mantle isn't in the original set, as another poster pointed out, there is a 1998 Fleer Tradition fantasy card #67 of Mantle that fits in perfectly with the original '63 set. And another quick Ebay search turns up three of those Mantles for sale right now. Two BINs for $14.99 or $9.99, and both with free shipping, and one auction with a $2.95 opening bid and a $4.95 shipping charge, and no bids so far, and which ends this Thursday. So, you should easily be able to fill that Mantle void for less than $10.00.

And another great choice I think if you go with the '71 Topps set for your '70's set. I don't believe there is a comparable non-Topps or non-Topps related set issued in the '70's that goes along with your earlier decade choices otherwise. However, nice condition hi-number '71's can be a little difficult, and pricey, depending a lot on how condition sensitive you are. As a possible back-up/alternative, I'd suggest the '72 Topps set then, for the rather unique and outstanding card design if nothing else.

And if you do decide to move forward to the '80's and later decades then, your non-Topps options are wide open. Have fun!