View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 05:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEARSAUCTIONS View Post
Hello. Going back to the days when Dave Bushing was very active in purchasing collections which originated direct from player estates, I was privy to several of these (various teams and years), both in real photographic and paper stock. "These" refer to the panoramic sized photos. Since these were originating directly from the players families, I am comfortable with this information being accurate. I personally viewed an oversized paper stock Chicago Whales photo and 1929 Philadelphia A's which originated from families in Milwaukee. I cannot say with certainty this was not a premium, and my response to the poster was a quick answer to an email I received and not intended to serve as official comment. I am confident these were issued to some players during the era, but I cannot say it was exclusive to players. My personal belief, without documentation to support, is these were player only. Regards, Troy
Hi Troy, that's a lot to digest. So you have seen other of "these"--not type I photos but yellowed paper copies of the style seen here-originating from player estates over a span of years from Cleveland in 1910 to the 29 A's and in-between with the Whales and maybe others? This implies some kind of standard paper copy process for teams to make "these" for players only. But they could also be premiums of some kind? In either case, there should be multiple examples from other auctions over the years, and perhaps there are and I just don't remember seeing them, a distinct possibility. I have no dog in this hunt, but I have handled a lot of paper stuff over the years and am familiar, as you must be also, with the generation of similarly yellowed paper-stock repros, mostly of negro league teams, that have been floating around for some time now. There have been numerous threads about these on Net54 over the years from victims inquiring about the legitimacy of their pieces, and I have thrown in my two cents worth of knowledge when I thought it might do some good. If I'm wrong in this case, I apologize in advance, but without more to go on, color me still skeptical about this one.