View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 04:25 PM
Brian

Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The Hall of Fame started on a downward spiral once the early stages of the corrupt Veteran's committee was put into place. So many of their selections are suspect, as they were busy trying to get their friends into the Hall of Fame.

I've also been very vocal about this, there are known cheaters in the Hall of Fame. Many people hold a "holier than thou" attitude about players, even if they so much as experimented with a pharmaceutical drug. Meanwhile Pud Galvin, Babe Ruth, and Mickey Mantle experimented with animal testosterone. Mays And Aaron took amphetamines at least once. And on that subject, God knows how many players were popping Greenies like they were M&M's in the clubhouse either, or high off of painkillers in order to pitch.

I don't want people citing character clauses either. Cap Ansons in the Hall of Fame, the guy that was probably responsible for segregating the game, Commiosner Landis is in, the man that upheld said segregation. It was rumored that Tris Speaker had ties to the KKK.

My point being, the Hall is a place that commemorates and celebrates the greatness of baseball. How these men achieved that greatness, or their dealings outside of the game of baseball should not matter. Voters can't play the moral police for one group of players but not another.

Peter_Spaeth:
It's a no win problem. If you ban anyone, there are inevitably going to be people who cheated below the radar who get in or people who are judged by a different standard, and it ends up an arbitrary unfair mess. If you just say fuck it let everyone in, you reward behavior that clearly broke the rules of the game and almost certainly secured an advantage over other players. Lose lose.

Yeah this is pretty much where I come out. I do think Schilling presents a peculiar problem -- he should be a HOFer but I fear his induction ceremony would be bad for the institution (the HOF) and even the major leagues. His speech would likely be provocative in ways that could really damage the institution. I don't just mean complaining about the process or saying "its about time." I'm not talking about just saying things that just aren't "PC." I fear bona fide hate speech.
But I guess the institution could survive a PR disaster and maybe .
I also don't think Pete Rose cuts it so long as he faces a lifetime ban. (after that -- his demise -- you can put him in and I guess Shoeless Joe and Eddie Cicotte too)
I would urge that the plaques not whitewash things too much for guys like AROD, Palmeiro, and Manny Ramirez who have been found to have cheated. To me they are different from Bonds, Clemens and Sosa who are all-but-universally considered to have used PEDs but were not "found guilty" by baseball.

Last edited by Misunderestimated; 12-17-2022 at 04:26 PM.