View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 02:56 PM
Michael Skiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
12-17-2022 11:49 PM
abothebear I like the Mel Ott suggestions because when I saw them I thought, “oh yeah, I forget about Mel Ott.”

But to answer the question of the OP, oddly, Troy Glaus was the first name to come to mind. But after a minute of thinking, Lance Parrish. So many guys are great for not quite long enough, and then they get sort of erased from memory.

Both of these...Tigers had an almost 30 year run of top C between Freehan and Parrish...and a couple nice years of Nokes.

Get tired of the top 15 guys being mentioned as underrated...by who?....Like me saying Kaline is underrated....not by anyone in Detroit!

Look at Lance's # vs Fisk/Carter...then look at Molina...This guy didn't even get a sniff on the ballot.

I will also add in Lolich...best Lefty of his era not named Carlton...again...no respect....I bet Bob Gibson didn't underrate him!
+1 On Freehan and Lolich....There was an interview with Tim McCarver on a Bob Costas show talking about the 1968 World Series. McCarver said the guys were talking about Denny McLain, when Roger Maris (who had joined them in 67) said something to the effect that McLain was no worry, the one they really had to worry about was Lolich......

Last edited by skil55voy; 12-19-2022 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Left out something: When he retired Lolich had the most strikeouts by a left handed pitcher.