View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 07:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hank, pretty much the same thing happened to me in an Alan Rosen phone auction. It occurred in the same auction that hit you or the one after. I was told by Alan's assistant that I won the auction item I was bidding on---a NM-MT complete set of the 1960 Home Run Derby cards. Since I was verbally told I'd won, I wasted no time, and sent Rosen a certified check. I got my check back, with a letter of apology, saying someone else had won it. What could I do? That opportunity was my one chance to get the set. Needless to say, I was very upset me; that one really hurt. --- Brian Powell
It would be interesting to start a thread of similar auction stories and see what pops up. It wouldn't be at all surprising to find out that Rosen, and perhaps other of the few auctioneers in those days, had "side" deals with big collectors to guarantee they got the cards they wanted after the auctions closed. Something along the lines of "I'll top the high bid by 10% and pay you another 10% for the privilege."