View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 04:29 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
First, I am the biker guy who rolls through intersections / red lights if no one is coming. But I also do it with me car late at night. (shoulder shrug emoji)

In my neighborhood, we have a kid who owns an app controlled one-wheeled-skateboard. He runs red lights across a road where vehicles travel 45MPH+.

As for the OP's original question about laws and e-bike regulations... I would assume that the city is receiving complaints on trails that already have regulations that don't permit ORV. For instance, we (Spokane WA) have trails near my house that are for non-motorized vehicles only. We also have trails / nature reserves that include noise regulations. The humming of e-bike motors might break current regulations regarding man-made sounds. So the city might be trying to codify a new machine to fit into existing expectations of other motorized vehicles.

IMO, I'm sorry that your desire to be in nature is being thwarted. You live in a beautiful part of Montana. Is that Bozeman? I lived in Billings for 10 years. I romanticize the ecosystems of Eastern MT; the sagebrush, the small canyons and ravines. My wife hates it. She wants trees.
I live in Missoula, the picture is the trail on the way to Lolo/Hamilton.

The bill wasn't brought on by any issues with e-bikers, it was actually from a law maker that owns and rides e-bikes and wants to make them officially legal everywhere bikes can go. The problem is that the bill has now been amended to classify different speeds and types of motors and local jurisdictions will be given the power to decide access to certain trails.

Missoula is full of the elitist cyclers that frown upon the use of e-bikes because they put in years of work etc etc, and they tend to get what they want. Well I don't have the time nor body type to make that happen so I just want to get out in nature and enjoy it with no restrictions. Where I go I see lots of older folks riding e-bikes and having a great time, this will affect them directly as well.