View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Good points here and in the earlier post.

I'm trying to remember if I've seen another "silk" item with a backing from that era. A couple quick searches shows some butterfly silks with backings, but the pic is small, and the back design seems more British than American.
https://www.antiquequilthistory.com/...nd-quilts.html

I'd be surprised if the material kept them from recording details, but without any solid explanation out side of the usual "they pasted the stuff in Friday at 4:55 and for got to finish Monday" sort of thing it's as good an explanation as any other.

My other thought on the trimmed baseball silk is that it was defective and cut short already but none of the other pages I've seen used an obviously defective card.
Thanks for the link to the ad-backed British butterfly silks. I was not aware of any other silks with backings, and probably thinking more of US issues anyway. Didn't think of British issues. There may be some more out there as well, but for now, I still think the S74 and S72 ad-backed silks are fairly unique.

As for recording the distribution details, like I was saying, pure guessing on my part as to why not more info on the silks. Agree we'll likely never know.

Same thinking with that cut Miller silk in the journal page. No real idea why they would have to cut it short like that. Your theory is just as good as any other one. Again, something else we'll never probably know the correct answer to. Interesting stuff to talk about though.