View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Todd Schultz

I have not seen any advertising that would show these came from Mendelsohn directly, or from any advertiser for that matter. There is a blotter with Ferguson bakery advertising that has served as the basis used by many to conclude the pennants came from there, and an old thread or two discussed the topic. I don’t believe the pennants shown on the blotter–and also a pillow topper that uses them- prove anything with regard to BF2, because they use the D381-style photos. In fact, I would argue that Ferguson Bakery would not have issued their 100 or so D381 cards in 1916 and then a completely different set of 100 or so BF2 pennants in the same year.

One minor correction, Bob– these use images from m101-4, not m101-5, and from an early printing at that, given the inclusion of the Stanage portrait to waist photo. FWIW, the source photo for the Cobb pennant has always mystified me.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-15-2023 at 10:36 AM.