View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 02:38 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I also turned 11 that summer of 1987. Sportflics even at 65 cents were a LOT more expensive than the Topps cards, which were 45 cents and had 15 cards per pack.

For whatever reason, Sportflics never got a lot of love, but they are kind of a cool and different artifact of that era.
Ahh, the summer of 1987. A time of "Baby on Board" signs and me thinking I might be able to one day fund my retirement through my 1986 Donruss The Rookies sets!

Yeah, no one else collected Sportflics cards that I knew so I was unable to trade them with any other kids in the neighborhood.

My father bought me a 1987 Topps wax box and I remembered it being yellow and green with an image of Dave Righetti's card on top and thought it was $0.40 per pack. I just looked it up online to confirm that was the price. It was also 17 cards per pack, which surprised me. I thought it was maybe 12. The cello packs were $0.69 for 31 cards - an even better deal. For about $15 you could either get about 650 Topps cards or 69 Sportflics player cards. Easy choice for most kids, and while I loved reading the historical team cards in Sportflics packs, my friends were never interested in that stuff and saw it as wasted money that should have produced another player card.

Not sure who Sportflics thought would buy their cards. Too pricy for kids, too gimmicky for adults.